While I am not an OS expert, I can comment that Windows 7 has given us speed and reliability while eliminating the sluggish performance and over-bearing protection of Vista. In this series, I would like to discuss problems one may encounter while running Oracle products on a Windows 7 client and ways in which these problems can be over come. This article discusses the Error of incorrect operating system found while installing Oracle 10.2.0.4 on a Windows 7 machine and how to ignore this error.
1. After you have downloaded the 10204_vista_w2k8_x64_production_db software from Oracle website and attemtpted to install the software with the command setup, you will probably encounter the below error.
Starting Oracle Universal Installer…
Checking installer requirements…
Checking operating system version: must be 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 or 6.0 . Actual 6.1
Failed < <<< Exiting Oracle Universal Installer, log for this session can be found at C:\User s\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\OraInstall2010-08-03_11-57-13AM\installActions2010-08- 03_11-57-13AM.log Please press Enter to exit...
2. This type of error is typical for most software once a new operating system version is released. To bypass the error, first open a command prompt by entering: Start –> Run –> CMD and enter.
3. Navigate the to directory of your oracle installer.
4. Now execute the command: setup.exe -ignoresysprereqs
5. If a warning screen appears, click Yes to install the software.
6. At the Welcome Screen, you can press Next to begin your installation.
That completes the installation of Oracle 10.2.0.4 RDBMS on a Window 7 machine.
Larry J. Catt, OCP 9i, 10g